Unless you sleep under your desk, chances are you had to get to work somehow. Lots of people spend lots of time getting from home to work and back again. Some of these same people complain that they don’t have enough time to go for a run or get to the gym. Let’s put these 2 ideas together and come up with 1 magical idea…active commuting. This is a great way to shift from gas-power to rhymes-with-gas-and-starts-with-A-power. There are many ways to do it….bike, walk, run or pogo-stick, take your pick.
A happy shout-out to our friends at UHN Wellness who are organizing us all into active commuting champions (and did you know they too have a blog?). You can now register online to participate in Activate Your Commute!
Go to SmartCommute to join today and enter your walking and cycling trips throughout the month for a chance to win great prizes;
• A Kobo Reader
• A $50 MEC gift card
• A $50 HBC gift card
• One of three BIXI-Toronto bike memberships.
If you stay actively commuting, you could win a prize every month ($100 value).
Here are all the ways that UHN employees can get active and win in October (Thanks again Wellness!):
• Walk-to-Work Wednesdays: All employees are welcome to participate in these free guided walks to work.
• Enter to Win: Enter your walking and cycling trips throughout the month for a chance to win great prizes.
• Walk Into Health: Join us for a lunch n’ learn delivered by a Public Health Nurse on October 3rd. Learn how to plan your route, stretch your body, calibrate a pedometer – and meet colleagues who want to walk more often, too! All participants will receive a free giveaway. Register now by emailing Wellness@uhn.ca
• Get Active: Check out these additional walking and cycling resources.
• Get Tips: Learn how to deal with the busiest commuting day of the year, October 31st. Who knew the scariest thing about Halloween is the travel time?
And for more thoughts on this, read Ed’s Talkin’ Trash article from June, Baby we were born to run, and eat
Happy Active Commuting!