It’s human nature to notice the bad more than the good, to feel the stings more vividly than the smiles. So we here at Talkin’ Trash are going to practice some positivity and look on ye olde bright side. We CAN make a fairtrade, organic silk purse of this nasty sow’s ear of a year. Let’s start by having a look at what you loved most last year. With that, I give you the top 16 of 2016. From certain angles and in the right (LED) lighting, it really was sweet …
16. You are ahead by a century: How Gord Downie of The Hip and our Olympic Champions can motivate us all to push through tough times.
15. The Wild Wild World of Competitive Recycling: Ed counts the elephants in the room, or 545 of ’em.
14. The (freerange, organic) fuel that powers us: Our amazing green team champions keep Earth Week spinning
13. Shut the Sash: The Power of Pizza: How researchers can kill-a-watt (nyuk, nyuk) by shutting the sash on their fume hoods … then celebrate with ooey, gooey pizza.
12. Waste-Free Rules for Back-To-School: Cuz during this other ‘most wonderful time of the year’ it’s hard not to get sucked into an unnecessary student spending spree.
11. Cooling Tower Repair at Toronto Western Hospital: Get your techie hat on as Songyang details this extremely cool project that was finished just in time for the hot weather.
10. Baby, it’s cold (and slippery) outside: Our friends at Smartcommute help us get ready for commuting in winter with their webinar designed for walkers, drivers, transit and bikes.
9. How have you bean?: Beans, beans, they’re good for your heart. The more you eat, the more you … contribute to sustainable food systems, fight soil erosion and derive protein (isn’t that how the song goes?).
8. Let’s GROW! : Adeline details Bickle Centre’s cutting (and pruning) edge, wheelchair-accessible Garden Rehab On Wheels (GROW). Looking forward to more planters next year!
7. Sweet (20) Sixteen: This was a great way to start the year in a whole Body/Mind/Spirit sort of thing. And it will be again in 2017.
6. So who won? (the Interhospital Challenge, that is): University Health Network, SickKids and Sinai Health Systems all battled for The Royal Highness of Reusable Mugs, The Silver Stein of Sustainability, The Interhospital Winner’s trophy!
5. T8 Retrofit Day: Mike really gets the LED out here…
4. Farm to (hospital) table – heading to the market: Cookie doesn’t crumble when talking about her love of local food. She helps our friends at SickKids to run a weekly Farmer’s Market (and it still runs over the winter too).
3. Sunglasses, Swim suit, IV Bags … Check!: How some spare medical supplies can make it around the world to people and places that need them. Also, how to pack in some crazy good karma for your next vacation.
2. The Medical Mosaic: Don’t throw this out … it’s art! Nurse Tilda shows us just how gorgeous some repurposed supplies can be.
And our final top story of 2016…
1. Spinning the wheel, 7 places in 6 days: Earth Week really is number 1 at UHN. The trick is to make it last all year long.
Thanks so much for being a part of our Talkin’ Trash community! Relax and enjoy as we approach to the edge of ’17.