What massive event is happening in September? If you said “Back-To-School”, nope! It’s Toronto’s very first Urban Ag Day on September 15th. The Ag is short for agriculture (not agoraphobia or agony, quite the opposite). The official proclamation day is surrounded by nine days of events celebrating urban-grown food and the people who grow it. From September 9-17, community gardeners, balcony growers and urban farm businesses will host events across the city.
How to dig in and celebrate at UHN?
Check out the following events at our Toronto Rehab food garden locations (stay tuned for more details):
- Bickle Centre: Friday Sep 15, 2017 – 12-1pm – Open House
- Learn about the GROW (Garden Rehab on Wheels) project from members of the garden group
- Play games (garden scavenger hunt etc.) for a chance to win a prize
- Corn roast! Proceeds from the sale go to buying next year’s seeds and seedlings
- click for poster
- University Centre: Friday Sep 15, 2017 – 12-2pm – Tea party
- Lyndhurst Centre: Sep 14 – 15, 2017 – Open House, self-guided tour
Near Toronto Western Hospital? Go across the street to the Scadding Court Community Centre for lots of events from 11 – 3 including:
- GrowTO Market: Urban growers + street food and retail vendors of Market 707
- Buy local produce and garden supplies
- Tour aquaponics facility and container greenhouse
- Demonstrations of backyard composting, vermicomposting and vertical growing
- Councillor Mike Layton will do a salsa-making and canning demo featuring Toronto-grown produce – only $20 to learn how to water-bath preserve and take home salsa! Contact email@example.com to register
Grow big or grow home (groan).