With the first month of 2019 still fresh as a honeycrisp apple, we’re checking in on your good intentions (kinda like New Year’s resolutions, but without the pressure). Of the 19 options, these really hit home with you.
12. Repair my appliances, clothes and stuff that’s broken
11. Join a Green Team
Well you’re in the right place 🙂
10. Walk and bike to work/errands more
9. Lose weight Nice to see this one at #9 and not #1, as there are so many other ways to turn over a new leaf that don’t involve a scale. Favorite nutritional advice is still Michael Pollan’s 7 words … “eat food, not too much, mostly plants”.
8. Lug a mug to the coffee shop (and grab my discount for doing it)
If the waste from your daily habit is getting you down, it’s pretty easy to wake up and smell the coffee. Most places give anywhere from 10 – 25 cents for your efforts. Look at it another way … for the average coffee drinker, not bringing a mug costs you an extra $110/year.
7. Recycle more (blue bin and ewaste, batteries etc.)
6. Exercise regularly, especially outside in nature
5. Spend more time with family and friends
This pairs nicely with #13 (just shy of the top dozen) as a little less screen time leaves more family and friends time.
4. Eat more veggies and fruits, especially the local ones
Need help? Check out local farmers markets.
3. Buy less single-use anything (especially plastic)
Disposable is so last century. This pairs really well with #8.
2. Always turn off the lights when I leave an empty room
Thrilled this one made it so close to the top! Simple, good energy-saving behaviours make a huuuuge difference at work and at home.
1. Organize my closet and donate old clothes, toys, stuff
Call it life-changing magic or Swedish death cleaning, all turn Trash to Treasure for a circular economy win! One step further is to not buy unnecessary stuff in the first place (my personal goal too). Cheers to good intentions! May each turn into an action and then a habit.