October 18-24 is the 20th Waste Reduction Week (WRW) across Canada and the 6th annual WRW Inter-Hospital Challenge! The challenge is simple: each hospital or health network aims for the greatest participation rate on the WRW quiz. It’s a quick 3 minutes on the 5R’s: Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Rot (compost) for a fun way to learn and reinforce the most wasteless behaviours. If you work at any of these participating organizations, play on!
- Hamilton Health Sciences
- Hôtel-Dieu Grace Healthcare
- Sinai Health
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- University Health Network
Click Here to Play! Oct 18-24
Help your site win the Stein of Sustainability, the Royal Highness of Reusable Cups! Not only will you help your site win, you will also qualify to win some eco-fabulous prizes given out by your hospital and conquer the 5-R’s while you’re at it. If you work at UHN, you could win 1 of 4 $50 Fresh City Farms Gift cards for some tasty, local, organic treats.
As we’re all neighbours on one planet with finite resources, the less we waste, the more we all win. Consider this a step towards the most important waste reduction we can all do … reducing our carbon footprint to help fight the Climate Crisis.
Click a Pic of you/friends practicing the 5R’s. Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or tag us on twitter or facebook.
Want to dig deeper?
- Have a look at Waste Reduction Week Canada’s website
- Read up on the Canadian Coalition for Green Healthcare’s PPE-mSUP Project
- Or share your thoughts with the Toronto Academic Health Science Network’s (TAHSN) equally quick survey on reducing the environmental harms of healthcare.