- Earth Month: March 28 – April 30, 2020. Though Earth Day is April 22, we will celebrate (virtually) across UHN for a whole month, starting with Earth Hour!!
- Earth Hour: March 28, 8:30-9:30 pm – turn off the lights for climate action, by our friends at WWF
- Webinar: The Circular Economy and Health Care: April 8, 12-1pm
- Bike Month: Kicks off with Bike to Work Day, Normally June, but delayed to September for obvious reasons. Lots happening!
- Urban Agriculture Week: 2nd week in Sept
- Waste Reduction Week: Oct 19-25
2020 Past Events:
- Winter Commute Week: Feb 10-21: Try a new commute this winter and you could win some great prizes! Snap a photo of your sustainable commute and tweet it to @SmartCommuteTO with the hashtag #WinterCommuteWeek or email your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org. Contest closes Feb 28.
- Winter cycling webinar on February 12, 2020 @ 12:00pm. Signup at https://sc-all-weather-cycling.eventbrite.ca
- System change for health in the climate crisis: Panel Discussion, Monday March 9th, 5 – 7 PM, 155 College Street HS208, University of Toronto – Health Sciences Building
- Carbon Conversations Toronto “A Celebration of Community Climate Action“: March 11, 6-9 pm 192 Spadina Ave
- #GreatBigCrunch: Mar 12, 2:30 pm: bite into fresh fruit or veg, share pics using #GreatBigCrunch
- Carpool Week! Feb 4-10. Log you carpool commutes for a chance to win a $250 preloaded PRESTO Card
- Carbon Conversations TO is hosting a six-week series starting Feb 13th. Try the taster session: Wednesday Jan 16, 5:30 – 7:30 PM, Wellness Centre at TGH. RSVP
- #GreatBigCrunch: Mar 28, 2:30 pm: bite into fresh fruit or veg, share pics using #GreatBigCrunch
- Earth Hour: March 30, 8:30-9:30 pm – turn off the lights for climate action
- Earth Day: April 22, though we celebrate it for a supersized week
- Bike Month: May 27-June 30
- Urban Agriculture Week: 2nd week in Sept
- Waste Reduction Week: Oct 21-27
- Waste Reduction Week: October 15-21
- Carbon Conversations TO is hosting a six-week series (Oct 11-Nov 15) to give you the tools, support and motivation to explore your carbon footprint and create a personal carbon reduction plan that works for you. Get a taste of what we’re all about. Join our interactive information sessions:
- Thursday, September 20: Session 1: 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm, Room INU168, Toronto General Hospital
- Thursday, September 27: Session 2: 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm, Room INU168, Toronto General Hospital
- Interested in joining the Fall series? Let us know by completing this brief application form.
- Smart Commute Month: Sept 10 -Oct 5, UHN staff can win great prizes ($250 VIA Rail vouchers, PRESTO cards, and $50 gift cards) by completing a short survey about your commute and taking up the challenge to commute in a sustainable way.
- Urban Agriculture Week: Sept 8-16
- Connecting Food & Health Care: Lessons From Canada, US & Denmark: Monday September 10, 12 – 1:30 pm, LKSKI-SMH, 209 Victoria St. room 211, NOURISH event
- Food on the Public Plate: Lessons from Canada, US & Denmark: Monday September 10, 4:30-6:30 pm, MaRS 101 College St. room CR2. NOURISH event
- Bickle’s 2nd Annual Garden Open House, Friday September 21, 12:00 PM -1:15 PM, at TRI Bickle’s front lawn. Enjoy some local corn and garden-inspired bake sale treats. Learn about the garden from members of the Bickle Garden Group. Play games for a chance to win a prize! All proceeds will go to supporting the garden rehab program!
All in celebration of Toronto’s Urban Agriculture Week!
Rain Location: Bickle Centre Auditorium, 12:00-1:00pm only
- Bike Month: May 28-June 30
- Earth Day: April 22,
- Earth Hour: March 24, 8:30-9:30 pm
- Seedy Saturday: March 10, 10 to 3, Scadding Court Community Centre
- #GreatBigCrunch: Mar 1, 2:30 pm
- Gardens at UHN: Bickle, UC: March – September.
- Carpool Week: Feb 5-11
March 25, 8:30-9:30 PM participate at home or work by turning off lights & electronics. Practice energy-conserving ideas beyond the hour. For more, see the Earth Hour site.
Canadian Coalition for Green Healthcare will host a free webinar on Climate Change Resiliency:
- Thursday Mar 2,
- 12-1 pm
- featuring our own Ed Rubinstein, UHN’s Director, Environmental Compliance, Energy and Sustainability, and awesome blogger for Talkin’ Trash at UHN
- Click here for presentations and webinar recording:
April 20-28, 2017 – Events all around the world to celebrate and care for this planet we all share. Earth Day may be on April 22, but we stretch it to a “baker’s-week” to visit each site at UHN. Lots more on the UHN Earth Week Page. See more on the official Earth Day Canada Site.
May 29- June 30, 2017. Kicks off with Bike to Work Day: May 29, 2017, which launches a month of biking activities and festivities! Learn Bike Safety, Bike Maintenance and meet fellow riders. See our Cycling@UHN page for the latest events. Also check out the official City of Toronto Bike Month Page.
Celebrate urban-grown food and the people that grow it.
Gardens at UHN: Bickle, UHN Real Food (TWH), UC
March – September. See the freshest news on the Garden Page
Smart Commute Month: Sep 11 – Oct 6
Celebrating all the ways to get to work in greener and more sustainable way … bike, walk, TTC, carpool, telecommute, or pogo-stick :).
Commuters have until October 6 to take the survey. Every person that takes the survey will get a chance to win two $150 VIA Rail vouches. If our workplace gets the most survey responses, there may be more prizes!
Webinars for Commuters (free)
- September 21, 12-1pm Cycling 101
- September 27, 12-1pm Carpooling/car sharing
- October 4, 12-1pm All about Presto
From our friends at Patient Education…
Film Screening: “Resistance”
Date: Friday, September 29, 2017
Time: 1:00 pm to 2:45 pm
Location: TWH Auditorium, 2nd Floor, West Wing
Please join us for a free screening of “Resistance”, a documentary film about antibiotics and antimicrobial resistance. There will be a question and answer period after the film, facilitated by Dr. Andrew Morris, Director, Antimicrobial Stewardship Program, Mount Sinai Hospital/University Health Network and Professor, Division of Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto. Everyone is welcome to attend. Call 416-603-6475 or email email@example.com to register.
Waste Reduction Week
October 16-22, 2017. A perfect time to practice the 3R’s in order: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Play the WRW Inter-Hospital Challenge if you are at UHN, SickKids, Sinai, or Sunnybrook.
Ontario HealthAchieve Green Session:
Monday, November 6th, 2017
1:30 PM to 3:00 PM
Room 717AB, MTCC, South Building
Waste Reduction Week: October 17-23
Smart Commute Week
September 19-25, 2016
Open to all UHN Employees and any other Smart Commute members!
See It Shine (Green)
Runs September 6 to November 4th, 2016 and is open to all UHN Employees!
Participate in this great UHN-wide contest to clean up some clutter, September 6 to November 4th, 2016. Make your shine green by using the 3R’s: reduce, reuse (or let someone else reuse it), and recycle anything possible. Contact us in the Energy & Environment department if you are not sure what goes where: firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to enter:
- Form a team for 3 or more
- Select an area to SHINE
- Take BEFORE pictures
- Sort, Set in Order and Shine
- Take AFTER pictures
Submit your entry form to SeeItShine@uhn.ca!
Environmental Hazards & Health – Monthly Health Talk
For patients, families, staff and community members (yeah, that’s everyone), by our own Lisa Vanlint
- Friday, July 29, 1 – 2:30 PM
- Toronto Western Hospital, 399 Bathurst St. at Dundas
- Auditorium, 2nd floor, west wing
- light refreshments provided
- Register by emailing Evangeline.Roldan@uhn.ca or call 416-603-6475
March – September. See the freshest news on the Garden Page
April 20-27, 2016 – Events all around the world to celebrate and be kind to this planet we share. Earth Day may be on April 22, but we stretch it to a week to visit each site at UHN. Lot’s more on the UHN Earth Week Page See more on the official Earth Day Canada Site.
May 30- June 30, 2016. Kicks off with Bike to Work Day: May 30, 2016, which launches a month of biking activities and festivities! Learn Bike Safety, Bike Maintenance and meet fellow riders. See our Cycling@UHN page for the latest events. Also check out the official City of Toronto Bike Month Page.
Waste Reduction Week
October 17-23, 2016. A perfect time to practice the 3R’s in order: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Lot’s of events happening across Canada, and coming soon to UHN. We’re hoping you have a chance to See it Shine Green.
RESISTANCE, Film Screening & Panel Discussion
Not all germs are created equal
A University Health Network & Mount Sinai Hospital partnership feature event for Antibiotic Awareness Week
Date: November 18, 2015
Time: 4:45 – 7:00 PM
Place: Mount Sinai Hospital, 600 University Ave, 18th floor, Ben Sadowski Auditorium
Light (antibiotic-free) refreshments to be served
IEADSM Task 24 workshop: Energy Behavior Change – Intervention Design:
Dr. Sea Rotmann is back to help with the next step on our energy efficiency and behavior change journey. Information on the Task can be found here: www.ieadsm.org/task/task-24-phase-2/ and the prezi from Sea’s first Toronto workshop is here: https://prezi.com/pi_xezbh6z0p/uhn-bcf-final-w-bombs/
Winter Cycling Workshop
Date: Thursday, Oct 22, 12-1 PM
Place: Toronto General Hospital,
RSVP: email email@example.com ASAP to reserve your spot as space is limited (latest by Oct 20)
Oct 19 – 25, 2015. Log your trips using the tool and you could win a pair of round-trip tickets to Europe.
Walktober-fest October 2015
Tuesday, October 13: 30-minute lunchtime walk – Meet at Gerrard & University, on the steps of Mount Sinai, at 12:10 pm – REGISTER HERE
Get a breath of fresh air and join us on our lunchtime walk to get your feet moving and heart pumping! Join Smart Commute as we stroll through some of the green spaces of the area and hear about the neighbourhood’s transformation since the 1800’s. Grab your colleagues and mingle with other professionals from the University & College area. Snacks will be provided to all walkers!
Dr. Sea Rotmann the lead Operating Agent for Task XXIV on Behaviour Change for the IEA’s DSM Implementing Agreement will be in Toronto May 28-29 at University Health Network Task24 Phase I
Check out the wonderful bios of our panelists
kicks off with Bike to Work Day: May 25, which launches a month of biking activities and festivities. Learn Bike Safety, Bike Maintenance and meet fellow riders. See our Cycling@UHN page for the latest events.
April 20-27 – Events all around the world to celebrate and be kind to this planet we share. Look for Green Myth-Busting Booths around UHN.
March 28, 8:30-9:30 PM participate at home or at work by dimming or turning off the lights, think energy-conserving thoughts beyond the hour.
Waste Reduction Week: October 20-26. A perfect time to practice the 3R’s in order: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Lot’s of events happening across Canada, and coming soon to UHN. We’re hoping you have a chance to See it Shine Green
Active Switch Challenge: July 14-20 (replaces the Clean Air Commute) with a goal to (you guessed it) getting people to switch their mode of transportation from passive (cars, transit) to active (walk, bike, run, blade). During this week-long campaign, all UHN staff can log your walking, cycling etc. trips at www.ActiveSwitch.ca for your chance to win a flight for two to either London or Paris!
Talkin’ Local Food July 7 – Sept 7: A crowdsourcing game to generate ideas for more local Ontario food served at our hospitals.
For UHN Staff: Want to know what we’ve learned in 8 months of Talkin’ Local food? Join 1 of the Conversation Cafés to learn and chat about UHN’s food ecosystem:
- Thursday January 22, 12:00-1:30 pm, Wellness Centre, Room 1 NU-168, TGH
- Thursday February 5, 4:00-5:30 pm, Wellness Centre, Room 1 NU-168, TGH
Register through the eLearning Centre using Course code UHUHHL053i
Bike Month kicks off with Bike to Work Day: May 26, which launches a month of biking activities and festivities. Learn Bike Safety, Bike Maintenance and meet fellow riders. See our Cycling@UHN page for the latest events.
Earth Week : April 22-29 – Events all around the world to celebrate and be kind to this planet we share. Look for photobooths around UHN to pledge what you’ll do to make this a greener place. Recycle More? Turn off lights and computers when you leave? Print double-sided or not at all? Ride a bike to work? Or create your own message.
UHN Real Food Garden: Apr 9 – kickoff, Apr 16 – plant seeds to make seedlings. Runs all through the growing season. Closing up shop in Oct. Contact Geremy Capone to get involved Geremy@ellicsrkitchen.ca
Now we also have a Talkin’ Food Team that could use your help to get more local and fresh food to patients at UHN. Anyone, not just staff, can join.
Earth Hour: March 29, 8:30-9:30 PM participate at home or at work by dimming or turning off the lights, think energy-conserving thoughts beyond the hour.
Garden Group Celebrates the Season at ELLICSR’s last lesson in 2013, Dec 19, 12:15 – 1:15pm, ELLICSR: Health, Wellness & Cancer Survivorship Centre Toronto General Hospital, Basement level, BCS-021. Interested in getting your hands dirty in 2014? We’ll stick around at the end to chat.